Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Phir Milenge Chalte Chalte (we'll meet again as time goes by)



Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (A Match Made in Heaven) was brilliant. It's bollywood, it doesn't HAVE to make sense. Suspend your disbelief and then suspend it summore.

The dialogue was :D :D Sometimes i wish i was Punjabi so that i can appreciate the dialect and its subtleties and colloquialisms, but it's alright, i'll stick to being a Tamil ;)

My fave scene was the Gol Guppa showdown. Gol Guppa is what i call pani puri..which just happens to be my favourite variety of chaat (as Rhubi and Rak will attest to :P) and when I was watching it on screen, i was like OH MAN i want some pani puri RIGHT NOW.

I don't know what else to say about the movie other than if you watch it look our for the song with the cameo appearances of FIVE massive bollywood superstar actresses including my all-time favourite and SRK's lucky charm, Kajol. I actually CHEERED when Kajol appeared on screen ok :D I wanted to whistle, but i dunno how to haha! For me, Kajol and Shahrukh are the REAL Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ;) The song, Phir Milenge Chalte Chalte, pays tribute to old skool bollywood: Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor, Dev Anand and Rajesh Khanna..my mum would LOVE it. Come to think of it, actually my dad would too..as tamil as he is, he too grew up listening to bollywood classics.

The dialogue was hilarious, and beautifully penned, especially towards the end. And oh yes, how could i forget, SRK IN REGULAR CLOTHES spouting the line "Punjab Power, Lighting up your life"- he has never looked more unattractive. I'm quite sure my heart broke when I first laid eyes on him in character as Suridher Sahni and he looked like such an ANDOH : cos quite frankly, SRK is my ideal of a man. (stfu all you h8rs. Having SRK as my fave actor is sometimes as sacrilegious as supporting Chelsea FC. Seriously people, get a grip) Until he personally dashes my ideal of him, I refuse to believe he is anything other than perfect. Throw yo hands in the air and lemme hear you FANGIRLZZ!

Shahrukh Khan movies always ALWAYS make me feel good.

When I feel like i need a good cry, i watch Kal Ho Naa Ho (Tomorrow May Never Come)..that one never fails to make me bawl.

Whenever i need a reminder to love my family, i watch Kabhi Khushi Khabi Gham (Sometimes Happiness Sometimes Sadness)

Whenever i feel lovelorn, i pop in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (Something Just Happens)

Whenever I feel adventurous and in rapture, i watch Dil Se (From the Heart)

Whenever i need something epic, I watch Asoka or Devdas.

Whenever i feel patriotic to the "motherland", i watch Swades.

Whenever i need something hard hitting, and very NRI, i watch me some Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (Never Say Goodbye).

If i want bollywood in its purest form..melodrama, elaborate dances, overseas locations, romeo and juliet plotlines, a HERO and a HEROINE, i watch Dilwhale Dulhania Le Jayenge (The brave-hearted will take the bride). A close second is the more recent Om Shanti Om.

Shahrukh Khan is my Rahul and I am his Anjali. (its too much work trying to explain the reference, so i'll just leave it at that)

There is so much truth in what they say -bollywood movies gives you unrealistic expectations of love. But being an escapist and hopeless, hapless romantic..bollywood keeps the dream alive yo.

No comments: